Sunday, January 6, 2013

Reagan's big news

I feel like I am ready to talk about it now. It's been seven FULL days. Without further ado....

Reagan is in underwear and is potty trained!   


We tried it back in October. We were actually IN undies for 3 days then, but every day she went less and less. She was holding it. Scared of the potty. It was heartbreaking. I felt so bad for her so we went back to diapers and decided we would try it again later. Then on Christmas day, Reagan got underwear in her stocking. She was so excited, she wanted to start wearing them that night! I was so pumped I thought this is it, here we go! She made phone calls, we got excited, but then we had a little set back. Reagan has had some issues in the poo department in the past and I noticed she hadn't gone in two days- which is never good, so we went back to diapers. I didn't plan on us trying again so soon, but Steve and I talked and we both knew- she was ready, she knew what to do, we just needed to get serious about it and do it. We don't do pullups, we do our own version of potty training boot camp and go straight to undies, don't leave the house, drink lots of liquid, try to make it as fun as it can be (HA!), and seriously eat, sleep, and breathe potty training until they get it.  It worked for Mason so we went for it again with Reagan and it worked! I still ask her if she hasn't gone in a while if she needs to go, but for the most part she tells us. And she is so excited, so proud of herself, and so happy to be a full big girl (after she gave up binky- she said she was half big girl/half little girl-since she was in diapers)! She still wears a diaper at night time (I would say nap time too, but those haven't happened in 2 weeks so I have the feeling they are a thing of the past) and we still have to watch her poop's. (which is an entirely different story and one that I am sure she wouldn't want in writing when she is older and happens upon my blog).



If you are in the midst of training - my advice to you. You know your child- you know what works for them- rewards, sticker chart, m&m's, praise. Do what you feel is best. Read other people's advice and store it away but trust your instincts. It's not an easy road but you can help make it easier for yourself and your child by listening to the voice that tells you if something is going to work for your family or not. 

2 comments:

  1. GREAT advice Mary! Listen to others, take notes, file ideas, listen to YOUR inner voice/instinct, and do what's best for your family! BE ENCOURAGED! Love, Aunt Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the title of this post and thought to myself "either she's potty trained or she's going to be a big sis"! Congrats on the potty training!

    ReplyDelete