Wednesday, June 29, 2011

And then he goes and surprises me

We spent the last week visiting my parents. (I'll add more about that later) The MAIN reason for our visit was for Mason to take swim lesson's with his cousins, Thomas and Maggie. We talked about it for WEEKS. He was excited, pumped and ready to swim. That is, until we got to the pool. He went in, but was definitely apprehensive. I snapped a couple of pictures and then the tears came. He stayed in for the whole class, but when I asked if he wanted to go back he said "no." The next morning we got up and tried it again and let's just say the first day was paradise compared to day 2. He did not want to do it and after talking with the director we decided he wasn't ready. He wasn't scared of the water- in fact he likes it, it just takes him a while to warm up to new people. So we are waiting.

I knew he had his dentist appointment this week and honestly I have been dreading it since I made the appointment (2 months ago). He went to the dentist in Seattle, but he didn't have to sit in the chair. And after the pool experience I was expecting tears and screams. Steve came with us (Reagan had an appointment too) and we spent the morning wondering how it would go.

And just when you think you know someone- they go and surprise you. He did AWESOME. Mason came in, met the dental hygienist, explored the instruments, laid down, let her clean his teeth, floss and X-Ray them. The entire time, Steve and I just stood there dumbstruck that our Mason, was totally fine and happy going to the dentist. While there three other kiddos came in scared of the dentist and crying and Mason wasn't phased at all. It reminded me that he is continually growing and changing and I can't worry how he will react to something. I just have to let him explore things for himself and be there when things don't go so well.

Here is a picture of Mason swimming- day 1.


I didn't bring the camera to the dentist since I wasn't expecting it to go well. Maybe if I leave it at home more, things will go better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment