Saturday, July 18, 2009

1/2 year old!


I can't believe six months ago, we brought Mason home from the hospital. I remember the first night at home, Steve and I looked down on him in the crib and wondered if he would ever cry (he was a preemie so those first few days were really quiet). I remember thinking not being able to breastfeed was the end of the world for me. I remember holding him and wondering how I could ever love someone I just met. I remember worrying if we would be good parents. Six months ago, our entire world changed and we couldn't be happier!
A few of those questions have been answered:
Yes, he does cry, not a whole lot- but he let's us know when he is upset.
There is life beyond breastfeeding- Mason has survived and thrived quite well on formula- I will try it again whenever we have baby #2 (NO news to report) but I am at peace with my boobs. Thank you dad, for reminding me that no matter how much we want something to work it can't always happen.
I still can't believe that I love someone so much who can't talk to me, spits up on me on an hourly basis, but whose smile and laugh makes it all worthwhile.
I pray everyday we will be good parents- but I have come to the realization that we will make decisions- some will be good, some maybe bad and we just have to move on and realize that we are doing the best we can and that is the best thing we can give Mason.
Six months. I can't believe it! Okay enough reminiscing.
Mason is doing great- we went last week for our 6 month appointment- he weighed in at 17 lbs 2 oz and 26 1/4 inches tall. His little head (well not so little) is 44 cm. His pediatrician is really happy with his development and growth. We are eating solid foods- we have had rice cereal, oatmeal, barley, sweet potatoes, squash, peas, green beans, carrots, bananas, pears and of course- peaches! He loves eating solid foods and even likes my attempts at homemade baby food. He is sleeping through the night - 12 hours straight- and I have to say this makes all the difference to Steve and I. His latest milestone is sitting up by himself. He can sit up for more than 30 minutes now and this has added a whole new excitement level to playing!
He also is happy to report that his mom is home with him full time. I went back to work in December and although I loved seeing my work buddies, I missed that little spitter too much. I put in my two week notice right before the new year and am in the midst of my second week as a stay at home mom. Mason had two babysitters come to the house to stay with him during my last two weeks at work, and I think it was good for all of us. I have learned to let go (for a little while) and Mason was able to be comfortable with other people. I worry about stranger anxiety since he doesn't get to see many people on a regular basis besides Steve and I so I am glad that he went to others so easily. Mason and I are still going to two moms groups- plus we have started volunteering at the local hospital for an hour a week. not much, but we are giving back what we can. We work the registration at the parent baby classes- these have been a life saver for us so I want to help in any way I can. Mason met his best friend, Will there and I have made good friends as well. We are starting a swim class tomorrow to learn to play in the water and become more comfortable in it. Mason loves bath time so I think he will take to the pool.
Other than that, life in our house is moving a mile a minute and we are just trying to remember to stop and take in those moments. Steve is back at work and if you have seen on the news- he still has a job. Which we are very thankful for since I don't. (well not a paying job anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment